Showing posts from 2015

The North Side - A Summer-Long Project

The north side of 173 had really begun to show its age - heck, begun?  Back in 2013 I was bemoaning the north side of 173!  Wood was getting punky in places, the stoop was so worn out that when I ran my hand across it by accident, I ended up with lacerations!  And the foundation surface had really gotten bad, there was mildew and moss, and the concrete was crumbling.  As the summer began I figured I needed to get out there and get started.  The first thing was the window that is actually at the landing of the stairwell.  Time and weather had pretty much done it in, the sill was worn, the window putty had long since crumbled, and the window frame was almost to a really bad point:

So out came the ladder and the stabilizer. Come to think of it, I may do a product review on that wonderful item!

Some windows at 173 would just look plain ol' stupid if there were shutters on it.  These windows will instead have the framing painted black.  After stripping, glazing, priming and paintin…

173 In Bloom 2015

This has been a relatively productive summer, and there will be some additional posts to reflect that.  But sometimes it's just good to sit back and enjoy what you have.  One instance of that is the plethora of flowers, bushes and trees that bloom on 173's one-tenth of an acre.  Yup - postage stamp!  Not to brag but, the yard gets alot of compliments.  People come from across the neighborhood to see it sometimes.  One lady wanted to include it in a paper she was writing for a college class, and one time there was a group of teenage girls (whom we had never seen before) using the yard as a backdrop for a photo-shoot!  Of course that was not always the case.  When we first arrived lo those many years ago, there was some spirea, a rose bush, and some other flowering bush.  I think that was pretty much it.  Here's a bit of a representative pic:

So here's some pics from around the yard.  First let me say that not one single sunflower was planted this year.  However, we have…

The "Seasons-Go-Too-Fast-Partial-Almost Complete-But Gotta Wait 'Til Next Winter To Finish It" Dining Room Reveal

The written language is amazing.  With it we can communicate thoughts, plans, fears, joy, love, pain, almost anything.  We can communicate the angst Roquentin , the kindness of Dorcas, and the mind of Hawking.  Through the centuries it had liberated the slave, incited wars, inspired poetry, and united peoples.  Alas, there are some things that the written language cannot do.  Primarily, it cannot convey to you the mix of joy and mirth with with which I write this post.  I had dreams baby!  Not dreams of fame and fortune, I had not deluded myself into dreaming of such unattainables as being an astronaut, playing for the Yankees, or even overthrowing every government to be king of the world (no - get that DiCaprio image out of your head).  No, my dreams, for this post anyway, was to have the dining room DONE!  I mean, fat lady singing, fork sticking out D-O-N-E!  Instead it's just ... done.  It all started in the winter with waking up one morning and deciding 173 needed a dining ro…