No Name Needle Nose

Tool Restoration

I get it.   Sometimes it seems I post about every single tool I pick up and even slighty clean up.  While that's not exactly true,  I do share a bunch of tool restorations, mostly because I'm between projects in the house.   Besides,  isn't it fun to see an old,  nearly discarded tool all cleaned up and ready for any number of decades more?  Well,  I have a new one for ya'... let's get into it!

The Haul 

I dont know how it why it happens,  but every so often I get a hankering to troll the aisles at my local used tool store,  The Tool Box.

Rarely do I have a particular tool in mind,  it's usually just a look around and find that thing I didn't know I needed situation.

Anyway, I came away a $3.00 blacksmith's hammer head, a quick change adapter for a keyed drill chuck, and these no name needle nose pliers, all for a total of $5.00 plus Uncle Sam's bit.

Making A Few Adjustments 

These pliers were in really nice shape. There were a few pits here and there but not too many, and the jaws weren't all boggered up, so I knew this was gonna be a quick project. However,  the rivet needed some tightening.  To fix that I used an old 7/32" socket for a punch,  and have each side a few smacks 'til the pliers has just that perfect amount of tension. 

After that I noticed there was a little twist in the jaws so they weren't lined up to well.  This was the perfect opportunity for one of my favorite things... heating steel and bending it!  Within a few minutes,  and some stress soled by my recently restored monkey wrench, the jaws were perfectly lined up. 

I continue to be interested in new things that seem old and old things that seem new. - Jaquelin T. Robertson

The Cleanup 

With the pliers tightened up and realigned, it was time to just get them cleaned up.  I was going to take them to the wire wheel on the bench grinder, but these pliers aren't very big so it's seemed kind of an overkill situation.  Instead, I just spent about 20 minutes with the Dremel tool and one of the wire brushes...

After about 15 minutes with the Dremel, these pliers were pretty well cleaned up and ready for a little polishing.

The polishing went pretty quickly. Also probably 10 or 15 minutes with a little bit of flits. Metal polishing and these pliers were done to the finish. I thought they were probably most.  Capable of obtaining without grinding down the few pits to absolute weakening the wires themselves. polishing turned out pretty good and it ended up looking pretty nice.

A Final Look 

And just like that,  these no name needle nose pliers were serviceable once again!

I wish there was some sign of who the manufacturer was,  a wordmark, logo, something!  But alas...none.  

While we don't know the who or when, we do know these 6 1/4" pliers feel strong and solid in the hand, and look almost new again!

Well,  thanks for stopping by and we'll see ya' next time!
Next Post Previous Post