Made at 173: Upstairs Hallway Table - FINISHED!


A couple weeks ago I finished the build of the little accent table for the upstairs hallway...


Then it was a matter of putting on the finish.  Here's a picture of the table that was my inspiration for this little project:


I have no idea where I found that picture so if you recognize it please let me know so I can give proper credit.  Anyway, I had to make some alterations to my plan.  I really wanted to have the back legs look like this but I just couldn't cut them to look half way decent.  I mean, they were so bad I didn't even take a picture.  I really need to get a band saw!  But I didn't want those legs to be just plain slats, so I laid out where the shelves would go and figured where I could place some holes...


...then used my Forstner bits to drill some holes of different sizes, just for interest.


Anyway, after the build was complete I prepped all three legs with some wood conditioner...


Then I stained them using my stain formula mix of two stains... 2 parts General Finishes Antique Walnut to 1 part Georgian Cherry that I finally figured out when I stained the dining room built-in baseboards and put on four coats of amber shellac.  


Then, using paints I already had on hand, I painted the shelves.


And here it is in the hallway:


Let's get a closer look...


The 173 was just a lucky find at some home store but I think it works. and here's a shot of how those flanges worked out as supports:


I now it's different, but different is what we wanted.  That end of the hallway has always felt a little off, so this will give it some interest. And the colors tie in with the sconce and the painting...


 I know the table design isn't for everyone, and it's taking a little getting used to myself, but it sure was fun to build!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hallways: New Lights, Outlets and Switches

Re-re-visiting the Fences

The Dining Room Built-In: The Reveal