Radiator Cover Progress!


In our last post I wrote about the happy little accidents always attendant when I try to do a project a la carte instead of measuring and planning and sketching.  For instance, the first version of the end panels for the radiator cover...


But, I've since recovered and made consistent progress over the course of this past week.  The dining room redecoration, really started back in 2015 when I woke up one morning and decided that was the day 173 would finally have a dining room table...

    
...and immediately undertook to refinish it...


Throughout this protracted process, I endeavored to incorporate into each piece, a feature from another piece in the room.  One of those features is the rope applique that started with the table, carried over to the fireplace and now to the radiator cover.


Another feature is the fleur-de-lis, which started with the fireplace...


Which is the symbol of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, with which my unit was attached during Operation Desert Storm.  Besides that, I've just always like the symbol.  So, now I'm carrying it over to the radiator cover in a couple ways.  Primarily, I wanted to carry over the plinth idea 


Because the scale of the radiator cover is smaller than the fireplace, I needed to use wood thinner than 3/4".  It kinda worked out well because I also like to try to incorporate original pieces of 173 into projects whenever I can.  Back in '14 I did a lot of work on the basement, including the workshop...


...and I was able to salvage a couple boards, one of which was 1/2" thick - perfect for what I needed now!  


...which also was used to put a fleur-de-lis medallion on each end panel...


Here's another view:


Each night this week, after staying late at work, I made it a point to get at least some small task done, until by Saturday morning, the project looked like this:


Little did I know that this weekend would net the most advances in prepping!  Everything got caulked...


...and primed...


...and the first coat of paint applied!


As recommended, I put some foil-covered rigid insulation behind the radiator to reflect the heat into the room rather than warming the outside wall!


And now, the cover is assembled and in place:


You may have noticed that the pictures show screw holes and an unfinished top, there's a reason for that.
 

The Christmas tree goes in the dining room, and it's time to get 173 ready!  So, after Christmas the radiator cover will be finished - last bit of caulking, screw holes filled, second coat of paint, antiquing glaze applied, and polycryllic applied.  Geeze - not nearly as close to done as I thought!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dining Room Built-In: The Reveal

Hallways: New Lights, Outlets and Switches

Re-re-visiting the Fences