The Dining Room Built-In: Coming Along Nicely
the details had, at long last, begun! At that time I had the faceframes on the bookcases, and had also made the toppers for the cases. Then it was time to get on the fireplace. I think this is the moment for a little mantle anatomy, at least so I'll know what to call the different parts. This diagram is from Mantel Craft:
The astragal returns on the sides were tricky. My first cut I didn't think out very well and made 45 degree cuts. Yeah, that made it so the returns would stick way out into the front of the neighboring bookcases. It took me half an hour to realize I needed to cut a piece 3/4"x3/4" and change the angle. Here's an overhead view:
the first boards for the base...I bought the wrong size. After literally months of planning, on the very first day, I bought four 8 foot 2x8s instead of the 2x10s I needed.
nd strategic use of pocket screws,
The first step was to get the facing legs on.This Old House on Pinterest:
Kinda hard to see there, let's try another shot:
Look familiar? It's the same profile I put on the tops of the front stoop railings this past summer! Nothing like consistency! Here they are installed:
And from straight on:
nd strategic use of pocket screws,
I put together a pretty hefty shelf:
Then I put a desk hole grommet in...
Yep! Already have something plugged in! One thing I think I want to do though, is recess the grommet so it doesn't sit on top of the shelf. Anyway, that brings me to the next step, actually hooking up the power. The receptacle end was no problem whatsoever:
The complicated part was actually supplying power to the outlet. Pretty obvious huh? The choice was to find a line somewhere and tap into that, or hook right into the circuit-breaker box. 173 has a solid electrical setup, but the lines are all over the place...there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what's connected together, therefore I decided on the circuit-breaker box.
Over the years in this blog, I have bemoaned my dislike of painting. Well, there is one thing I hate even more than painting, and that's messing around with the circuit-breaker box.
Ugh! Makes me shiver just thinking about it! I've put new lines in before, but that was years ago when I put new power in the third floor. Thankfully, putting the new line in went off without a hitch, but it was nerve-wracking even though the main switch was off, and I used three different electrical testers to make sure! That said, with the electricity set, and the mantel shelf built, it was time to put the trim on.
For the trim, I used this, from Lowes:
The idea was that there are some lines, curves and that rope look, all of which will hearken to both the hutch and the dining room table! That's my hope anyway! But the thing is, I bought two 8 foot lengths of the trim, and when I made the book case tops, I didn't think through the cuts and ended up without a piece to go the full length of the fireplace. But I had two pieces that would go more than half way, so I had an idea - a plinth block!
I've seen plinths on fireplaces in movies (yeah, I pay attention to such things), so I figured I was safe and it wouldn't look horrible (at the same time saving me another $20). Then it was a matter of inserting the fireplace and seeing how it all comes together!
And there it is! There's still a lot to do, but I'm done 'til after Christmas, I want to decorate it a little for a couple days! Then there will be filling nail holes, caulking, priming, painting - not to mention making shelves for the bookcases! But for now...
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!